Introduction of Identical

Posted by Katie | Posted in | Posted on 7:20 PM


The print literature I am going to focus on is titled, Identical by Ellen Hopkins. I choose this particular book because it is not your typical novel. It is written in poetry form and each page can be read different. Some pages are written in columns, you can either read straight across connecting the columns, or read each on individually. This gives the novel a more dynamic read because it is visual and each page has several ways to read. I like Hopkins novels because of this dynamic ability. I like reading each page and getting several different ideas all on one page. I find this type of reading more interactive than regular written novels.

I have read all of Hopkins novels and this is the most recent on I finished. The novel focuses on Kaeleigh and Reanne who have identical DNA. They can see their sister and themselves when they look in the mirror. Both parents are engulfed by their work. Mom is a political candidate always on the campaign trail even if she comes home. Dad is a district court judge with an unhealthy love for Kaeleigh while ignoring Reanne. Readers come to know these two girls through alternating poetry. There is a secret that looms over Reanne and Kaeleigh that when revealed will shock readers. This is an engaging read that will hold onto the reader and take them for a ride to the dramatic end. The twist at the end is just as twisted as the writing style.

My background experience with this novel is simply that I love to read this author. I never look on the website to read about her books before I read them. I always want to enjoy them before I read reviews or a different take on the novel. I love her writing style and that makes this novel very visual. Most students do not like poetry and find it hard to understand. Hopkins takes poetry and makes it her own. She makes a plot and characters out of poetry and not a lot of students know you can do this.

Two sisters
Who are
Identical in every physical feature
Need each other but a
Secret gets in the way

Comments (0)

Post a Comment