Learning Screen vs. Research Paper

Posted by Katie | Posted in | Posted on 1:51 PM

When it comes down to writing a research paper or using electronic literature to create ideas, I would choose electronic literature. I think everyone needs to know and understand how to write a research paper but using electronic literature is more engaging. Being able to create a visual aide for your research is more effective to the learning process. For example, doing this blog was more engaging than writing a research paper about the novel I chose. It was easier for me to show you a visual that represented the novel rather than trying to explain it through words. But we also need to use the research paper in our classrooms. Knowing how to put information together and use quotes is valuable to learning. The research paper will never go away so we might as well know how to construct one.

The down side to using the learning screen is the distractions. I think students will get distracted from the true meaning of literature when using this. We need to let them construct their own thoughts and ideas before turning to the learning screen. Also I think the learning screen needs to be developed more and more teacher friendly first. There is so much out there, I think as teachers we get scared. We like to turn to what we know and I don't see a problem in that. Teachers always tell us to write what we know. That is what teachers are doing in their classrooms.

Overall I think both of these have their downfalls but also positive ideas behind them. I think it depends on the what you are teaching and how you are teaching it. This will decided what is right for your classroom. Exploring new things is great and it will forever change our classrooms. Just don't forget the basics.

If I were to chose a research paper or the learning screen for Identical, I would chose the learning screen. Since the novel is not written traditionally, I would chose I non-traditional project. It would be interesting to see what the kids come up with. I personally loved the trailers made for these books. It was awesome to see kids take in the subject content and create something they understood. Overall I would choose the learning screen over a research paper for this book because it is not a traditional book. I wish there were more books like this because more students would enjoy poetry, like I do.

Comments (0)

Post a Comment